On the Road Again

I started this blog in the summer of 2010, when I rode my bike from Seattle to Boston to celebrate my Big Five-O and just generally have fun. I had so much fun with both the riding & the writing that from time to time I post more stories & photos of my adventures on the road (and trail).


Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Ready for the next half-century*

I thought I would be thinking a lot during this trip, contemplative things: about my life, my work, what might come next. You know, stuff you think about as you get old, like 50. Except I haven't really been thinking about this stuff - mostly I think about where & when I'm going to eat next.

But there are these arrows on the road I keep following - pointing ahead, to things I have ideas about but don't really know until I get there.

Riding alone I do find myself thinking about people I care about - not in a lonely way, much more it's about appreciating the love and affection I feel and receive from so many amazing people. I hope I let you all know that. It's probably something I need to do better.

The first day I set off alone from Jackson, riding through Grand Teton National Park, I found myself just about in tears - of joy and amazement. That I get to be here, doing this - that I have the time, the physical capacity, the money & support to do this (especially from Luis & Camilo, who let me go for this long) - I feel kind of overwhelmed with this great fortune & privilege. Not to mention all the endorphins, and the fabulous biker tan I'm acquiring...

*and yes, the title is also a bike joke (100 miles = a century)

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Ruth!

    Your trip sounds incredible. I'm enjoying the posts and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy birthday, ruth! you are amazing! we love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday,

    Love your post. Sounds like you are have a great time. Loved the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I got all teary eyed reading that, it's just so beautiful and great. I wish I'd written yesterday with a timely happy bday but sending one here a day late! It's so fun to follow this blog, I mean for someone here carting kids around the city to day camps, it's an exhilarating escape. Much love!! -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another Happy Birthday wish for you! Hope you had a great one, and are enjoying your t-shirt! Sorry to have missed your calls.

    Have to respond to your earlier post about coal. Many years back, I was in the train station in Newcastle, England. And damn if I didn't see a trainload of coal pull into the station. Truly and OMG moment!

    Lotsa love,
    --Myra

    P.S. Last time I tried to post a comment,it said it was from Charlie. We'll see what happens this time...

    ReplyDelete