On the Road Again

I started this blog in the summer of 2010, when I rode my bike from Seattle to Boston to celebrate my Big Five-O and just generally have fun. I had so much fun with both the riding & the writing that from time to time I post more stories & photos of my adventures on the road (and trail).


Saturday, July 17, 2010

Rapid City, SD + more photos

I came out of the Black Hills and into Rapid City on Friday, after lots of joy riding along the Needles Highway without my gear - and then a tense day riding *with* all my gear on a rear tire that was on the verge of blowing out - I did kind of melt it on that asphalt... But I made it, and spent most of today (Saturday) getting new tires & adjustments to the bike's bottom bracket (the crank), and walking endlessly through horrifying sprawl to find the camping stuff store to get fuel for my backpacking stove. All done with that stuff - and I found a curry place for dinner, yay.




And happily, despite the vast malls of this city, the joy of the Purple Pie Place (and its pig) linger with me, still.

I find that after a couple of easier days of riding and then this day of endless errands, I am really antsy to get back on my bike! I think this is a good sign that I am actually enjoying this trip, and not approaching it as something I Have to Do. This guy at an RV campground (the one with a pistol on his belt) asked me what I was trying to prove. "Nothing!" I said, "It's just for the fun of it." But I wondered if I had some hidden (from myself) agenda. I don't think so - it really is fun. To ride, if not shop.

Not to mention the following excellent road signs - with a lovely two-fer punch for those who know how much I associate miniature golf with my birthday & who also know a little yiddish, and a sprinkling of enriched (but mysterious) patriotism...





And here's a link to more photos!
http://picasaweb.google.com/106458209676650999720/CusterAndRapidCity#

1 comment:

  1. OMG - Gabi is SO going to LOVE the pig! And I love the huge smile on your face - way to go!

    ReplyDelete