On the Road Again

I started this blog in the summer of 2010, when I rode my bike from Seattle to Boston to celebrate my Big Five-O and just generally have fun. I had so much fun with both the riding & the writing that from time to time I post more stories & photos of my adventures on the road (and trail).


Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Here in St. Paul: Halfway haven

Last night I made it to St. Paul, Minnesota, which makes 2,362 miles (!!). This is the symbolic and I think actual mid-way point for my journey. Yow! I can't really internalize the scope of this thing, still - but it feels like a big deal to have made it here.

Pam & James & Pat & Todd's and now my friend Jon, who lives here, drove out to Hutchinson and then rode his bike in with me yesterday, and now I'm staying with him a couple of days to rest up, do laundry, get re-supplied and then head out for the Wisconsin & Michigan legs of the trip.


Crossing into Minnesota was exciting but kind of grueling: cross-winds and head-winds that day, and a very narrow shoulder with rumble strips, gravel, and lot of traffic. I was very stressed by the combination, plus the heat & humidity. There were a number of great moments on the road, though (armed gnomes!), and I really loved the city campgrounds in Montevideo and Hutchinson. They even had showers!

The real blast was riding from Hutchinson into St. Paul - nearly 80 miles, all of it on car-free bike trails. Along the way the trail changed from tractor tread-marks through a corn field, to fine gravel, a paved trail, and then an urban bike path with lovely signs. The twin cities of Minneapolis & St. Paul have an incredible, complex set of pedestrian/bike paths - it's really amazing. Even though it was so hot there was a heat advisory (meaning: avoid strenuous activities, d'oh), it felt relatively easy & relaxing, just from not having to worry about traffic blasting by me. (Or into me.)





















And then - lucky me, yet again - only after we'd safely gotten here, taken showers and headed out to dinner, another tremendous thunderstorm hit. We sat in a restaurant by the window, watching the lightning and sheets of rain blowing across the street...













I'll be heading for Wisconsin on Saturday, on track (I think) to meet up with my sister Peg in central Michigan on August 12th...

3 comments:

  1. Half way!!!! Yeah and a hearty congratulations, sister of mine! I LOVED the gnomes - you find such great little sights and it's so cool that you share them here (sure helps those of us following along vicariously). All of a sudden I realized you could be here in two weeks (after so many weeks of it being 'way out there in the future') so I guess I'd better start figuring some things out. Have a great time in St Paul then Happy Trails into Wisconsin and the UP. Lots of love! Peg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations and yes it is a big deal to have made it this far. Thanks for taking us along with you and the pictures. Enjoy the down time you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jesus Ruth you are a woman of Iron...
    Paul

    ReplyDelete