On the Road Again

I started this blog in the summer of 2010, when I rode my bike from Seattle to Boston to celebrate my Big Five-O and just generally have fun. I had so much fun with both the riding & the writing that from time to time I post more stories & photos of my adventures on the road (and trail).


Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Pave the Planet







A truck working to pave part of eastern Wyoming had that (pave the planet) written on a placard across the front. I was too slow getting my camera out so you'll have to take my word for it. I have to say, all over Wyoming they are working on just that. Today I rode over 8 miles of brand-new, literally steaming asphalt. I was freaking out that my tires would melt, not to mention the fact I was the only one on most of a 5-mile stretch, since the flagger let me go on ahead of the cars and for some reason it took ages until he let them all through.

The other title for today could have been: Coal to Newcastle. All day long I was following (or being followed by) trains carry tons of coal, out of Gillette and headed for Newcastle. The first one I saw I of course had to scream out "No way! Coal to Newcastle!" and I pretty much kept it up most of the day (when I wasn't cursing the danged wind, which was not at my back).

There were also many, many train cars parked in sidings along the road; after it occured to me to check my odometer I realized one train alone was over 2 miles long!! A guy in a restaurant told me Gillette supplies 20% of the nation's coal used to produce electricity. Yow.

It was a hot, dry day - I rode nearly 80 miles and drank two whole giant bottles of gatorade along the way, plus probably half a gallon of water. And a lot of breakfast, second breakfast, lunch, and snacks, of course. And a buffalo burger for dinner!

Yesterday I rode from Buffalo to Gillette - on Interstate 90! The only way to get there. I was nervous at first but folks from the group (who are now a day ahead of me) assured me it was a great ride. And it was - huge, smooth shoulders, and hardly any traffic, amazingly. So, RV Parks and I-90 are my surprise discoveries so far... (pave the planet, indeed).

Tomorrow I hit Custer, SD, and then it's on to happy birthday trips to Flintstones Bedrock City, Mt Rushmore, and some dingy motel in Rapid City, SD...


1 comment:

  1. Hey Rooty Tooty !! Are you seriously going through DeSmet SD -- please please please send me a post card from the Laura Ingalls Wilder museum ! You enjoy your trip: I enjoy your blog. Awesome photos. Been thinking of you - will you be in cell phone range on your B-day ?

    ReplyDelete