On the Road Again

I started this blog in the summer of 2010, when I rode my bike from Seattle to Boston to celebrate my Big Five-O and just generally have fun. I had so much fun with both the riding & the writing that from time to time I post more stories & photos of my adventures on the road (and trail).


Saturday, July 10, 2010

Glad to be in Buffalo, WY









Wow, what a day. I know I say that almost every day, but here are some pictures to prove it! (The first few are from the beginning of the day - looking back to where I'd come from.)
Today I rode from Ten Sleep to Buffalo, Wyoming - only 65 miles, but about 45 of them were climbing. From the town of Ten Sleep ("town" meaning a two-block set of stores & restaurants along the highway) I rode up and out of Ten Sleep Canyon, over the Powder River Pass (elevation 9,666!!), and then rolling hills until the final descent into Buffalo.

There was only one restaurant on the way, at Mile 18 - where I was happy to stop climbing long enough to have second breakfast (blueberry pancakes!) and refill my water bottles - which I'd already drained. The morning was really hot, and I had to stop every mile or so to wipe the sweat out of my eyes (and take pictures).

By mile 25 I was high enough up in the mountains that it cooled off - to the point where there was snow along the road! A while after that the rain hit - cold, hard rain, with thunder rumbling behind me. Fortunately I'd seen it coming and had all my rain gear on, plus waterproof covers on the panniers. (Glad to use the shoe covers I debated holding on to - mostly to keep my feet warm.)

It wasn't the longest ride, but definitely the hardest per mile of the whole trip so far. I know that's partly because I'm hauling so much stuff, but it would've been hard anyhow. I kept thinking of my friends from the group, who didn't have to carry their stuff but also did another 30 miles before they even hit that climb. (I took three days to do what they did in two - and glad I planned it that way.)

I only saw one other bicyclist on the road today, going in the opposite direction. We waved and yelled something like "Crazy ride!" but didn't stop - it's all about momentum... I did see a lot of people on motorcycles. Have been seeing this all over Montana & Wyoming. I have to say it looks really fun - I could totally imagine touring that way. Maybe when I turn 60...!

I also saw a big moose and a baby one galloping through a meadow, and a couple of deer crossing the highway. Plus heard a Big Thing crashing through the woods - but I didn't stick around to see what it was.

Tomorrow is my Rest Day in Buffalo, yay. I'm going to watch the World Cup final (probably at the Mexican restaurant where I had dinner - they're planning to show it), do a lot of laundry, and hopefully catch up on posting photos to this blog...! I'm staying in a motel tonight (just too tired to deal with setting up my tent tonight - I'll move to a campground tomorrow).
I've always liked talking to strangers, and one of the things I'm enjoying on this journey is how easy it is to strike up conversations with people. (Mostly they see the bike and start asking me questions about what I'm doing.) I'm having my one beer of the night (ok, I'll have two) at the Occidental Bar on Main St., and a woman just gave me her card and said I should call if I need a place to stay when I come through New York! It's kind of humbling but also I think that most people would just as soon be really friendly and open to strangers, but we're told not to. Being on vacation probably makes people less guarded, too...

OK, I need to drink my beer and get out of here - it's Saturday night, and I'm already ready for bed...!









2 comments:

  1. I got behind in reading a couple days ago 'cuz we went to Camp Mather for a short stint, but I'm glad to be back reading this incredible blog! Ruth, you are so fun and a great writer, I'm already cooking up my plans for my 50th (I think mine will involve riding a skateboard). Thank you for sharing your journey with those of us who can only dream...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth,

    Great work!! Just arrived home after leaving the c2c ride in Devil's Tower.

    Brian

    ReplyDelete