On the Road Again

I started this blog in the summer of 2010, when I rode my bike from Seattle to Boston to celebrate my Big Five-O and just generally have fun. I had so much fun with both the riding & the writing that from time to time I post more stories & photos of my adventures on the road (and trail).


Friday, July 2, 2010

Dispatch #2

Our intrepid cyclist phoned in a update this morning from West Yellowstone, MT. Unfortunately, the Dispatch Center wasn’t (wo)manned at the time. While I’m sad I missed the chance to talk with her (and answer the phone with “Ann Arbor Dispatch Center” just to hear her laugh), I am glad that I have the message on tape so I can fact check the report before publishing it.

Ruth’s message started with a chuckle and a hearty “Just calling to say ‘I’m alive!’” She was hanging out with some fellow riders watching the World Cup during and after breakfast. She added that they were going to have to “ride like crazy” to catch up with everyone else in Ashton, ID at the end of the day. She went on to describe her week in Montana.

The trip this week has been "VERY EXCITING (yes, her voice was in caps!) with really crazy weather – crazy thunderstorms in the morning and afternoon” with rain, lightening, “HUGE HAIL” and high winds. "Lots of people needed to be rescued” during one hailstorm; they arrived at the camp with red scratches all over them.

On Tuesday, Ruth and another rider were 'rescued' as well. The winds were blowing hard enough to force the two cyclists into the middle of the road, then lightening started so they dumped the bikes and stood in a ditch so as not to tempt fate by pretending to be lightening rods. A very nice woman pulled over and yelled “C’mon, I’ll give ya a ride!” before loading up their bikes for an easy last five miles to the day’s trip (into Townsend, MT).

The trip so far this week has been super exciting and a lot of work. Friday’s route is “fairly easy – supposedly” and takes them on mostly downhill, but very windy, route into Ashton, ID. Saturday is a “huge climb” up over the pass into Jackson, WY. Sunday brings a rest day and gearing up to set off on her own through Wyoming.

Internet access remains difficult and cell reception very spotty. She hopes to find a computer in Jackson so she can update us all herself.

Submitted by her sister, Peg, who's been following along using maps and lots of imagination.


2 comments:

  1. I got a phone call from West Yellowstone on Thursday: tourist trap from hell will not discourage the intrepid traveler! Ice cream and lattes all around. Someone pass the clicker!
    Rock on Ruthie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Ruth! and thanks everyone for the updates. Missing our intrepid cyclist, and mourning Argentina's loss, in SF. Michelle

    ReplyDelete