On the Road Again

I started this blog in the summer of 2010, when I rode my bike from Seattle to Boston to celebrate my Big Five-O and just generally have fun. I had so much fun with both the riding & the writing that from time to time I post more stories & photos of my adventures on the road (and trail).


Sunday, August 1, 2010

On Wisconsin!


I'm in Wisconsin, and the first thing that happened is that fight song (from whatever Big-10 school it is) got stuck in my head... (That is apparently the kind of thing I think about on the road: songs I used to play, badly, on the tenor saxophone when I was in marching band in high school...)

I am finding that campgrounds on my route don't have internet access, but some of the little towns have cafe's with wi-fi so I'm developing a new pattern: snacking & being online. Every day is a little different, which is great... though I'm also perpetually inefficient, it's actually not bothering me. The mosquitos are, a little, but not too badly - my new bottle of deet is working out.

I'm using Adventure Cycling route maps now instead of making up my own, and finding they are great - though sometimes a little complicated, and I've missed a couple of turns & had to relocate myself. They tend to keep you off busy roads and on very small, low-traffic country lanes, which is pretty neat - but sometimes the signs are a little too little for my spaced-out self to notice.

Couple of signs from the back roads of Wisconsin... (I'm hoping the bullet holes in the deer part of the sign, rather than the bike route part, indicate a general friendly attitude towards bikers...)



No comments:

Post a Comment