On the Road Again

I started this blog in the summer of 2010, when I rode my bike from Seattle to Boston to celebrate my Big Five-O and just generally have fun. I had so much fun with both the riding & the writing that from time to time I post more stories & photos of my adventures on the road (and trail).


Friday, August 20, 2010

And pictures, eh

Thought I should post my Canada pictures now - it was hard to capture the scope of the corn, I have to say, not to mention that specific agricultural scent... but I got a lot of other stuff. Besides the corn, there were tons of blueberry farms - and a few stands with pie, where naturally I stopped. The route followed coastal-ish roads - meaning Lake Erie was anywhere from a quarter-mile to a full mile away, which actually was a bit disapppointing. Thursday it got more interesting: river port towns in the morning, a functioning steel mill, and then riding right along the coast for a few hours. It was a glorious day, just about a perfect day of riding, but that's hard to capture on a little digital camera...


Also - I forgot to say: I saw yellow arrows again, from my Cycle America friends! I actually saw a few on one short stretch of road in Clare, MI last week, pointing them (and me) to the Pere Marquette bike trail. That was a total surprise and a blast.


I had an idea I might see arrows somewhere around Niagara, because I knew they were going through here - but I actually encountered them a couple of days ago on very rural roads near Port Stanley (a river port not far off the coast), and then followed them until Dunnville, when they turned north and I kept heading east. It was both fun and actually really moving to see them - knowing that group is reaching the Atlantic ocean and the end of their ride tomorrow (Saturday) - it must be so exciting for them, and yet also maybe hard, to be done... So often when I've found the arrows I have felt the companionship and affection for people in that group. Anyhow, here's to the Coast-to-Coasters! I'll get there soon!

And here are the pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/106458209676650999720/Canada#

No comments:

Post a Comment