On the Road Again

I started this blog in the summer of 2010, when I rode my bike from Seattle to Boston to celebrate my Big Five-O and just generally have fun. I had so much fun with both the riding & the writing that from time to time I post more stories & photos of my adventures on the road (and trail).


Friday, August 6, 2010

Michigan: The Great Beer State!

Who knew?! But that's the name of a magazine I picked up at the pub last night in Escanaba, Michigan - the stomping grounds of my childhood and youth. I still can't believe I have ridden my bike to Michigan...

I am very excited and sentimental to be here, in the Upper Peninsula (the U.P. is what we call it). And now I have a map of craft breweries across the state, which I can plot onto my official bike route map.


Today is Camilo's 16th birthday! That also has me excited and sentimental, not to mention more than slightly incredulous: I have a nearly-grown-up son?! That's even wilder, crazier, and potentially more dangerous than riding your bike across the country.

It's also my layover/rest day for the week, which I am thrilled to take in Escanaba. After doing my laundry, stocking up on yet more deet, and cleaning the debris out of my bike's chain, I'm spending the afternoon at the waterfront park - which includes a BEACH! On Lake Michigan! I might even get to read an article in the magazine I've been carrying since Seattle - but then again, I might just take a nap.

Tonight I'll post photos of the past week - and maybe even write up some of the things I've been seeing/noticing/thinking about over the past 2,800 miles. I had to write that number because I still can't believe I'm doing this. I guess I should stop saying that and just accept it, but it's a little weird to be living out a dream (and have it be even better than I imagined).

I'm riding a lot more easily these days - and managing to average over 75 miles a day, which is getting me back on schedule to connect with my sister Peg downstate next week. (And for those who have asked, yes, my butt is feeling better, too - thanks to wildly expensive butt cream from Switzerland that the tatooed & pierced folks at the bike coop in Minneapolis recommended.) I still think riding my bike is fun, and still laugh out loud every day at the fact I get to do this.

In the meantime, here are a few memorable moments from the road the past two days, including seeing where all those logging trucks were actually headed, and yet another great road sign.
















1 comment:

  1. Ah, yes. ASSOS Chamois Cream. It is, 'butt down' the best. You can also get by on "Udderly Smooth" - a bit cheaper and easier to find.

    ReplyDelete