On the Road Again

I started this blog in the summer of 2010, when I rode my bike from Seattle to Boston to celebrate my Big Five-O and just generally have fun. I had so much fun with both the riding & the writing that from time to time I post more stories & photos of my adventures on the road (and trail).


Wednesday, July 6, 2011

On Holiday

Wednesday in Sandpoint: amazingly complex systems of business and transportation-of-goods brought me a new wheel, and the wonderful folks at Outdoor Experience put it all back together & had me on my way by about 2pm. So I did what I had to do: go for a ride!

I'd been really disappointed I'd miss out on a section of the route I'd planned but realized I could do part of it as an afternoon joy-ride - which I definitely enjoyed.

This is part of the Pend Oreille National Scenic Byway (also known as a "super side-trip" for the International Selkirks Loop that I'm following part of). It was pretty scenic! And though these cars suddenly got into the frame, for most of the ride there wasn't any traffic on the road...

After I got back from that ride I dashed over to the Sandpoint City Beach to, as they say, go jump in the lake.

While I was there a Canadian couple approached me and asked if I was doing a tour (they noticed my bike has racks & a map holder). They're riding the Selkirks Loop on a tandem. We ended up going out for dinner and I was amazed to hear how much touring they've done - including across Canada and down the Pacific Coast from Vancouver to San Francisco. Next time I'm in Calgary (?!) I'll have to look them up!





No comments:

Post a Comment