On the Road Again

I started this blog in the summer of 2010, when I rode my bike from Seattle to Boston to celebrate my Big Five-O and just generally have fun. I had so much fun with both the riding & the writing that from time to time I post more stories & photos of my adventures on the road (and trail).


Sunday, June 27, 2010

Rest day in Missoula

Where to start? That's what I've been asking myself since I woke up at 5:45 this morning (half an hour later than I've been waking up all week)... haven't had coffee yet because the cafe's not open til 8am, so forgive any gibberish.

We're staying in a dorm at the University of Montana in Missoula - one of my favorite towns in the US. When I got out of college my choices were moving to here, or San Francisco. I chose SF but all day yesterday I kept thinking I might need to move to Montana after all. The western part, at least, is really really lovely. I still can't put any photos up (this dorm computer won't let me) but I'm hoping to find a place later today.

So, after an entire week of riding, I am really tired. Sleepy tired, and my muscles are fatigued. Actually, my major riding muscles are fine - thighs & hamstrings & calves feel great - I'm glad I do all the everyday riding I do & did to get in shape. But all this other stuff hurts that has never bothered me before - my achilles tendons, and the part of your butt you actually sit on (which might sound obvious, but that's never been a problem for me). I'm considering buying a new bike saddle here, but pretty much everybody's butt hurts so that's probably not the solution.

(There's a photo on someone else's camera of about 10 of us with our hands down our shorts, applying "chamois cream" to ease the suffering... )

At the same time, I am really exhilarated. I love country roads, small towns, riding along rivers and train tracks, and mountains - so the fact of having all of those every day just fills me with joy. Endorphins are also great, that natural high of moving your body... (though it seems to run low between miles 70-85 most days). Plus simply being outside almost all day long - well, it helps that it hasn't rained on us since the first couple of days (that's the Cascades for you).

The people in the group are really great. I was more than a little nervous about signing up for two weeks of intense group experience with strangers, but I'm really enjoying it. There are more men than women but still a lot of women; there are a few younger people (in their early 20s, and one girl who skipped her high school graduation to do this!) but then a real mix of 30s/40s/50s - and a few older than 60 even. I feel like I'm making some friends I'll have for a long time, which I hadn't really expected.

There are people from the Netherlands, England, Wales, Germany, France, New Zealand and Australia on the trip, plus from many parts of the US... and among them/us are teachers, doctors, someone who had a heart transplant a few years ago!, a guy who owns a lumber yard, sociologists and scientists, and a few people who sort of just ride their bikes a lot (raising money for good causes).

Based on experience and imagination, I expected I'd do a lot more thinking/reflecting while pedaling - especially given I'm on my bike 6-9 hours a day. (That's actually on the bike - not counting the water/food/pit stops.) But not so far. I seem mostly to be looking around going "Wow!" and ringing my bell to say howdy to other riders, or cows, or simply with goofy joy (for example, when you come around a bend in the road and snow-capped mountains suddenly apppear).

Pretty much every day the landscape has gotten more exciting, and since I'm a little familiar with what's between Missoula and Jackson, Wyoming I'm really excited about this next week of riding. (West Yellowstone & the Gallatin range, then the Tetons!)

OK - time for coffee, breakfast, doing laundry, watching some soccer on tv! etc. Pictures later, I promise.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I am riding a vicarious thrill just reading this. I wish I could ring my bell at a nearby cow...

    ReplyDelete